Alas, Yorick

A blog about things.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Alas, Steve Irwin

I turned on the radio and heard that Aussie television legend Steve Irwin ("The Crocodile Hunter") died today. The state of Queensland reports he was fatally stabbed by a stingray while filming.

I know people will make cracks about living by the sword and dying by the sword (or the wild animal, in Irwin's case) but it's still a shame. He was probably the best-known Australian man in North America (Mel Gibson, despite the accent, is an American citizen; Nicole Kidman is famous but I bet most Americans don't know she's Australian). This also reinforces what I've already learned (from books and people, not in person) -- there are lots of dangerous things in Australia and its water.

In honor of Steve, who was a bit of a goof but fun to watch, all I can offer is a very sad "crikey."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home