Alas, Yorick

A blog about things.

Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween?

Over the previous two October 31s I haven't been in Canberra - been on travel somewhere, last year it was Broken Hill. So this was the first Halloween in Canberra.

And we actually had trick or treaters. Lots.

Now, I wasn't prepared for this - we had no candy because we weren't expecting anything. We hadn't even seen anything in the papers about trick or treat, the way you do in the US saying what night and time it will be.

So we cowered with the shutters drawn, so the kids couldn't see us not giving them candy.

BUT - I had to take out the trash (to keep the cats out of it...), so I went out the back gate, right as a batch of kids came up to ring the bell. Busted!

I told them, "Sorry I don't have any candy, I didn't know Australians did trick or treat."

So a little boy (maybe 7) dressed as a devil came up and gave me a handful of candy.

I said, "You don't have to do that!" but his big sister (maybe 10) said "That's okay, Mum says we have enough candy to sink a battleship."

So I took it. Nice kid, and nice parents. And a first for me: trick or treaters coming to my house and giving me candy!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 5:57 PM, Blogger Gaijin Gringa said...

thats such a sweet story! (literally, too!) ~Laurie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home