Alas, Yorick

A blog about things.

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Thorpe, Coming Off His Pedestal?

Aussie swimming legend Ian Thorpe says he's "shocked" by allegations that a test in 2006 showed abnormal levels of testosterone and some hormone that I've never heard of before. Australian Prime Minister John Howard, taking a bold political stance on the side of the revered Thorpe, said "As far as I'm concerned, until solid evidence of the contrary is produced, Ian Thorpe remains a great Australian champion."

I'm shocked, too. Shocked that anybody can be shocked at the idea that an elite athlete in a competitive sport like swimming is using illegal substances to gain an edge. I reckon there are two categories of swimmers at the ongoing swimming world championships in Melbourne -- those using steroids or growth hormones or who knows what sort of biological agents, and those who AREN'T IN MELBOURNE AT ALL!

Not to be cynical (yeah, ok, I know that I can be) but it makes you wonder whether this had anything to do with Thorpe's retirement later in 2006... And I wonder whether John Howard will have to eat his words on this one.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home