Alas, Yorick

A blog about things.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

An Invitation to Identity Theft?

A few weeks ago, a neighbor lady came by. She said she was updating the neighborhood directory, and asked if she could have my name & phone number.

I politely said I'd rather not be included. I think she was surprised, but she moved on.

This morning I went out to grab the newspaper, and saw that a copy of the neighborhood directory had been left in my mailbox. It covers the 84 houses in our subdivision, with a nice little map included. Since quite a few of the addresses have multiple people listed, I am now the proud possessor of approximately 100 complete names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses.

This is like an identity-theft kit, made easy. I am sure the intent is good. But this strikes me as really incautious and wise.

Incidentally, precisely TWO households "asked not to be listed" and are included in that way, just an address but no names or anything. OUR house is listed - with the names, phone numbers, and email addresses of the previous residents. Oh well at least it's not me.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home